Thursday, October 9, 2008

World of Music

I added a playlist! I found all sorts of stuff that I haven't been able to buy off of iTunes because it's German. I can get Peter Schilling, Nena, Fool's Garden, and funky versions of songs I love (like "Sunday Morning" by Maroon 5). Click on the link at the bottom of my playlist and make your own!

We are big music people in this house. Elvira is a HUGE fan of all sorts of genres. She has great taste in music. Drummer Boy leans towards 80s pop/rock, but has a killer appreciation of jazz. Definitely my son! Sweetie is a man of the 70s--Eagles, John Denver, James Taylor--but really digs Einaudi and Enya. The jury is still out on Kitty Boy. He likes lots of stuff but hasn't really focused on specifics yet. Tinkerbell is the most eclectic of us all. She loves both her dad's and my stuff, and really loves world music like Elvira. Listening to her playlists is so eye-opening, and definitely not your average 8 year-old's music.

When I was growing up in Germany, we had no TV and one radio station--Armed Forces Radio. We heard Casey Kassem, Wolfman Jack, and if the DJs liked jazz, funk, or R&B, that's what we got. Watch "Good Morning, Viet Nam" for a good idea of the gems I grew up with. I got completely hooked on jazz when the 5th Army Band came to our high school and played "Black Magic Woman" by Santana. It was life-altering. I still remember it and get chills. My brother and sisters have awesome taste in music, too. My parents mostly listened to "Easy Listening" stuff while I was growing up, so I'm not sure how we turned out so well. Now Mom listens to show tunes and Dad loves the Grateful Dead, Emmylou Harris, Abba, and the Beach Boys. Guess we rubbed off on them, after all!

3 comments:

Holly said...

I got my very first radio as a Christmas eve present one of the years we were in Germany, and I remember staying awake that night to listen to Wolfman Jack! I was a faithful listener of American Top 40. I can usually pinpoint when a particular song was popular if I can remember where we lived when it was on the radio. Remember such gems as Disco Duck? Junk Food Junkie? The theme from S.W.A.T.? LOL

Emily said...

I remember listening to Dad's Johnny Cash record - my favorite song was Ring of Fire. That and dancing around to Sweet Caroline with our sweet Caroline are some of my favorite family music memories. Maybe we should make each other mix tapes for Christmas!

annette said...

"My parents mostly listened to "Easy Listening" stuff while I was growing up, so I'm not sure how we turned out so well." -SO FUNNY!

Our whole family has YouTube playlists. (Yes, even Jack-Jack. Not only do we have music, but old Muppets routines, comedians, and even excerps of church talks!