Tuesday, June 2, 2009

The Sweet Tooth Fairy

Okay, I'm going to do something unusual for me. I'm going to give a business a bad review.

I've been hearing about this bakery for a number of months now. First, they were featured on Rachel Ray's show. Then NieNie, a local blogging celebrity, raved about them and in response Sweet Tooth Fairy renamed their vanilla cupcake after her. I love cupcakes! How could I resist?

So today Elvira and I went to the bakery to pick up a treat for the family. Lots to choose from, but we chose the VaNIElla Squared and Cookies n' Cream varieties. They looked so beautiful, and with all that "signature frosting" we were sure to love this treat.

Tonight, Kitty Boy took his Cookies n' Cream cupcake out of the pretty box. We were a little awed at the huge amount of icing on top. He spat it out. "This tastes terrible!" he exclaimed. "How could that taste bad?" I asked, clearly not believing what he was saying. I tried it myself. Coconut!!! Disgusting, gag-inducing coconut! I hate coconut, as does half of my family. The other half that does like coconut, scraped their icing off into the trash. At least the cake part would be good, we thought. Nothing special at all. Tasted like a boxed mix to me. I'm sure she makes everything from the "finest ingredients", but I was so disappointed. The coconut flavoring tasted artificial and the texture of the icing was grainy. And these things aren't cheap--$2.25 apiece!

Elvira said it was, "Okay, but I don't see what the big fuss is about." That was the most glowing review I could get out of anyone. Tinkerbell and I didn't really care for any of it.

So there you have it. Go there if you want to. Maybe their famous cake bites make up for the cupcakes, but I don't think I'll pay to find out.

1 comment:

angie said...

I love coconut so I did like the cupcake but the cake part was not out of this world, so I have to agree. I have also had the cake bites and they are good but way rich. The chocolate covered in chocolate was even too much for me, wow.