Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Tea Time

Elvira and I snuck off to tea today. We were in Salt Lake for the day, and passed by the cutest little British import store, London Market, up on 7th East and 6th South. Full of all the treats Sweetie and his family love, as well as loads of Harry Potter things and other goodies. We had a great time picking out things for Nanny and Sweetie, and as we checked out, the girl at the counter gave us a coupon for a free Ginger Biscuit next door at the very English Elizabeth's Bakery. My search for the perfect ginger cookie is well documented, so how was I to refuse such an offer? Just a quick pop in, only a second, and then we could go.

Well, as soon as we walked in I knew this was going to take slightly longer than a second. Oh my, so cute and yummy.

How were we to choose? Pasties, scones, crumpets, pies, trifles, quiches, and sweets galore. The Brits might not be known for their cooking, but their baking is another story entirely. We each chose a vanilla slice with Cadbury hot chocolate, and we shared the ginger biscuit.

Bliss! The vanilla slice had a flaky crust on the bottom and tasted so vanilla-y. The hot chocolate had cream mixed into it with a dusting of cocoa on top. Not too sweet, slightly bitter (only slightly), so yummy. And the ginger biscuit was to die for. At last, the perfect ginger cookie! Of course, I don't have the recipe for it, but now I at least have something to strive for.

As we ate, we talked about how fun it would be to visit London. My wonderful friend Pat and her family live there, and it is my favorite European city after all. Poor little Elvira hasn't ever been out of the country, and since Sweetie took Drummer Boy to London and Berlin last summer, it's only fair that I get to be the one to take Elvira. Don't you think so? What if we took Tinkerbell with us, and my sister(s) too? Grandma would simply have to join us. After all, my darling niece Megan will be living there by then. Before long, I had the whole picture in my mind. A London Adventure, I'd call it. Immediately the Clash song London Calling started playing in my head, and then I felt guilty and the Pride & Prejudce theme popped in there. Much more cultured. We could make this a literary tour! Go to Permberley! Visit Bath, Stratford-on-Avon, Haworth, Dickens' haunts, Castle Howard, Jane Austen's home! Too bad poor Manderley burned down. That rotten Mrs. Danvers.

Now my head is filled with schemes and plans. How much to budget over the next two years to save for such an adventure? Isn't it a little unfair not to bring Sweetie and the boys? Perhaps they could visit WW2 sites while we have tea in Beatrix Potter's home. Surely they would prefer to visit some museum or other rather than suffer through stuffed bunny-infested rooms.

What on earth will I dream up if we go out for Thai food?

No comments: