Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy 4th of July!

Even though technically I grew up in Kirkwood, Missouri (as much as an Army brat can grow up in one place), I probably spent just as much time in Webster Groves, just one town away. My parents both grew up there and all four grandparents, my aunts, uncles, and cousins were there. When we lived in Germany, we flew back to St. Louis for a few summers and took turns living with my grandparents. My cousins drove over to the house and we walked a few blocks over, plopped down on the curb, and waited for the 4th of July parade to come down the street. None of this stupid camping out stuff that is the trademark of the Provo parade. I can't stand going to the parade here, but I love it there. Then at night we headed over to Hixson Middle School (yep, named after my great-grandfather) to watch fireworks. One year we went to Westborough Country Club and lay on our backs on the golf course to watch them. Happy happy!

This year we'll go down to the Arts Fest, have a barbeque, and head out somewhere to see the fireworks. It's a nice tradition, but even I'm not brave enough to head out to the parade here. I'll let the other 250,000 (seriously!) people battle it out there.

2 comments:

Sally said...

When my kids were little we could walk the three blocks from our house and have a prime parade watching spot...the good ol' days. We did walk to the parade this year,from our illegal parking spot three blocks from the parade. We stood amongst the crowd and saw the Provo missionaries (the best part of the parade these days). We used to love to watch the Harley riders, but they've been banned. The politicians took over. We all need to move back to the small towns I guess. Happy 4th!

Emily said...

I skipped the parade, but the fireworks were so good. So. good. Maybe you guys can drive back for them one year. This year the crowd was S, J&L, MG, L's sister, L's M&D, and two friends of J&L.

Did I mention how good the fireworks were? So good.