Sunday, November 16, 2008

I Need A New House



I really don't want to offend anyone in my ward or neighborhood. Really, really don't want to. But I have to get out of here. We've lived in our cute little dollhouse for 14 years next month. Our cute little 3 bedroom, 1 bath (soon to be two) home with 1666 sq. ft. and four children. I grew up never living anywhere more than a year or so, and I've been here nearly 1/3 of my life. I might just possibly explode.

So, I need to move. Soon.

This is what I need. Five bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, preferably with a basement. We Midwestern girls need our basements to escape the tornadoes. Don't even start with the whole "we don't get tornadoes here" thing. There's always a first time, Missy. Walking distance to BYU for Sweetie since he doesn't drive much anymore and we're down to one car anyway.

Here are my neighborhoods of choice: Tree Streets (not because of cjane (though that's a plus--but I've always loved it there!), Stadium Heights, Indian Hills, Edgemont, Grandview Hill, and those super cute streets just east of Kiwanis Park with University names. It would be hard to walk from Grandview, it's true, but I like it up there. You'll notice my neighborhood isn't on the list. It's not that I don't love my neighbors, because I truly do. I just want a different view. Provo looks very different when you're looking towards the west, rather than from it.

I feel a little like a hamster in a cage here, because we have so many big hobbies that take up a ton of space. Sweetie has his easel and a big watercolor table in the garage that has never even been used. Drummer Boy has, you guessed it, a big drum set. We have a Lego table with, help me out here Em, probably close to 15,000 Legos on it (no, I really don't think I'm exaggerating). Elvira has tons of art supplies, books, etc. Tinkerbell has enough Barbies to stock a Toys-R-Us, and Kitty Boy has lots of everything. We have over 1,000 DVDs and a couple of thousand books (that's what happens when you're married to a film professor). And I have loads of sewing and craft supplies. It's a darling house, and it was even featured in the Hidden Garden tour in 2006. Gorgeous landscaping, lots of built-in shelving and storage things.

But Drummer Boy is starting college next year, and dorms are expensive. I would love for him to have his own room so he's not sharing a bunk bed with his middle school brother. Am I greedy? Unreasonable? I don't think so. Just getting a little claustrophobic.

And one of the biggest perks? You get to have sue-donym as your backyard neighbor!

So, know anyone who wants to buy a cute little dollhouse with a beautiful garden that looks a lot bigger from the outside?

2 comments:

sue-donym said...

I completely understand. I feel the same way most of the time, but I just don't want to go through the hassle, expense and trauma of it all.

I would hate to lose you as a neighbor, but I'll bet we would actually make time to see each other if you moved across town.

-thanks for the compliment :)

Cari said...

I TOTALLY understand because I came this close to moving myself (and my family of course!) a few months ago. Thank heavens the Lord knows what's best for us because, although a few months ago we were sure it was what we needed, but, things change (like husband's jobs) and now it would have been a struggle. So now, instead of a beautiful, spacious home, I'm remodeling and learning more about "creative storage solutions". Anyway, that's probably more than you wanted in your comments. Sorry. I hope everything works out well for you!