Monday, August 10, 2009

An Unlikely Inspiration

I recently spoke with an old friend of mine who was, to put it nicely, not someone I generally considered a good example for me to follow. I have been very critical of this person both publicly and privately because of some pretty unpleasant stuff that happened between us many years ago.

It's amazing what a few years and some growing up can do to a person. Though there will always be issues between us, and with just cause on both sides, I came away from the conversation with a new respect for this person and a lot to think about, particularly in light of the post I made last night. In many ways, I have ample reason to look to them as a good example of grown-up interactions, which stuns me more than I can say.

I know that a lot of the posts I write are vague at best and nonsensical at worst. I write a lot of things in "code" that make no sense to anyone but me. But writing helps me look at the things I'm dealing with at the time and try to sort them out and make sense of my world. With that said, the hot coals I'm willing to extinguish are talking to strangers with candy and playing in traffic. Still working on running with scissors.

It feels so good to write again!

This has been a weird summer in a lot of ways. Lots of doctors appointments, lots of pills, lots of driving (3,972 in 12 days to be exact), lots of construction--just weird. Drummer Boy is heading off to college in two weeks and I've been trying to get him ready for dorm life. Still have to do a few "life skill" lessons with him. I will miss him very much--he's a terrific guy and fun to have around. I get a little weepy when I think of all the time we spent together when he was tiny--just the two of us. He wasn't even two when Elvira was born, and all that one-on-one was over way too soon. But then I smack myself and think how fun it will be to see him in college and start planning all the cookies I'll take over to his apartment for him and his roommates. (Don't you think "flatmates" sounds so cool? Maybe I should switch to the British version!)

And happy birthday to my youngest sister, Caroline. She's just turning 27, is a drop-dead-gorgeous redhead with a killer body trying to kick her career as a classical pianist into gear in New Orleans. I think she rocks! And my mom was 46 when she had her, so Mom rocks too!

No comments: