Saturday, April 4, 2009

Let's Get This Party Started

Things have been very quiet here comment-wise. Shall I spice things up a bit?

My sister Suzanne recently saw "Food, Inc." at a film festival in Durham, North Carolina. I haven't seen it yet, but I think it kind of does to the FDA what "Super Size Me" did to fast food, which is to take a good look at the man behind the curtain (note the clever "Wizard of Oz" reference). "Super Size Me" had quite an impact on me and my older kids. We have almost completely given up fast food since watching it.

When I was 22, my brother and I took my niece to the Lincoln Park Zoo's "Farm-In-the-Zoo" area to see all the animals (this was right around the corner from my first apartment in Chicago). My brother, who at the time was a devout vegetarian, told me all the ways each animal was raised and slaughtered. My niece was really too young to care, so we didn't worry so much about that. Although I didn't give up meat entirely, I haven't had veal since that day in 1986, and never will again. He also had me read "Diet For A Small Planet" by Frances Moore Lappe, which was hugely influential for me as well.

Here's a clip. Please watch it and let's discuss. This is a film written by Eric Schlosser, the author of "Fast Food Nation." It's scheduled to go into limited release in June, and I'm very curious about it. This is very timely for me since it's planting time in our garden. At least I know where that food is coming from! You'll want to pause the playlist first before you start the clip.

I also have a really inspiring clip on Ambrosia. Pop on over and visit me there.

No comments: