Friday, February 6, 2009

Paging Dr. House


So I said I would tell how the whole ENT thing went, but it's actually been "going" for a month now. I wouldn't normally go into great detail on here, but maybe someone reading has an idea that hasn't been thought of before and that I like better than the one I got today.

Okay, so last fall I mentioned the whole CT scan thing, but I failed to mention that it followed a month of nightly fevers with no explanation. Every night around 10:00 my fever would spike to somewhere between 101-103. Weird. No reason why, no other symptoms. A few little things going on, but nothing showed up on the CT scan.

Then, about three weeks after the fevers ended, my voice got really hoarse, which would be over two months ago now. A month later, I finally went to the doctor and lo and behold, stroke-level high blood pressure appeared out of nowhere. Still no voice. So the ENT did a laryngoscopy, which involves running a long, flexible scope with a fiber-optic camera through the nose and down the throat. I did get to see my vocal chords on a big screen, but then I had to shut my eyes. Too creepy. A month of blood pressure meds and Prilosec for non-existent heartburn that could theoretically cause the vocal chord thing, then back to the ENT, which brings us to today.

Apparently, one vocal chord is shorter than the other, which indicates a nerve problem. So I'm scheduled for a video stroboscopy, where they put a rigid scope down your throat and use a strobe light to visually isolate each vocal chord and study it. I'll be wide awake and expected to make sounds and not throw up all over them. Fat chance. Then more than likely an MRI to trace the nerves up to my head and see if there is a tumor at the base of my skull.

This brings us to the potential diagnosis that I'm not really too crazy about. I just got my hair to a length I really like, and am not too keen on shaving it off. So, since Gregory House is not available to take my case, any of you Junior Detectives are more than welcome to take a whack at it. Any ideas?

1 comment:

Karies place said...

Oh WOW. Prayers for you.