Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Playlist, Pt. 2

Duffy

To me, my playlist is full of happy, danceable songs. Elvira has brought it to my attention that they are really rather dark, angsty, and slightly angry. I see her point. But they are happy songs to me! I was raised on "Mack the Knife" which is really just a song about a serial killer. I knew all the words by the time I could talk, I think. I don't like skulls, horror movies, or blood. But I love my music.

Case in point: The Smiths. Oh Morrissey. In another life, it would have been me that was your muse. No one can make depression and tragedy sound more appealing. And those eyes! He's a looker, that's for sure. Those of you who saw "New York Doll" (and if you haven't, please do) will remember him as one of the primary contributors. After my doctor's visit last week I listened to "Girlfriend In a Coma" all the way home. It calmed me down and made me smile. That's a little twisted, I guess. And there's nothing like hearing the sweet sounds of a children's choir singing "Hang the DJ" on the song "Panic." They grow up so fast. But I don't even come close to my sister Caroline as far as my devotion is concerned. Nothing like a woman in love...

It's never advisable to tackle a home improvement project without a good soundtrack. The opening CD to our painting project at Em's was Duffy's "Rockferry", which did the trick admirably. I love her voice. She's like a cross between Dusty Springfield and Petula Clark. "Mercy" is a great R&B track, and "Delayed Devotion" is the sort of anthem I want my daughters to memorize before they start dating. Boys, you've been forewarned. It reminds me of one of the few times that I did and said the right thing in a particular relationship (not Sweetie, obviously).

I first heard the Beautiful South when I popped in to visit Em at the music store she worked at many years ago. They were playing a used CD over the speakers and I had them take it out and sell it to me on the spot. I never grow tired of them, and love every track. "Song For Whoever" is what I like to think of as making lemonade out of lemons. My apologies to those of you who have dated girls with those names. I recently pulled off "Les Yeux Ouverts" because Elvira got tired of it. That's just a french cover of "Dream A Little Dream" from the film "French Kiss." I'm sure it will make another appearance in a few months. This particular version of "Song For Whoever" is not the one on my CD. It's an extended version that gets really boring at the end. Feel free to skip about the last two minutes of it.

There's your music lesson for today. Now everyone go do their homework.

3 comments:

Emily said...

With a name like Sukey Tawdry... I'm just saying.

sue-donym said...

Ahh Morrissey. Remember when I went on a "date" with your husband to his concert?


Never heard of Pandora, but I will be going there today.

annette said...

Oh, this is sooooooo coooooool! I'm gonna have to put one of these on my blog. Well, I must say, you have eclectic and unusual taste in music. Most of the songs/groups I've never heard of, but I have enjoyed brousing them. "Chocolate" is a personal fav.