Sunday, February 8, 2009

Playlist, Pt. 1

I owe much of my playlist to Elvira and Pandora. For those of you who haven't visited Pandora.com, you are really missing out. Just type in the name of any song you like, and they will "create" a commercial-free radio station for you that you can listen to whenever you log on. It's amazing, and we've heard artists from all over the place that were completely unknown to us.

I had heard Imogen Heap's name, but had no idea who she was. Then I heard "Spooky" from the movie "Just Like Heaven" and "Can't Take It In" during the end credits of "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe." I was hooked. The four tracks I have on my playlist are probably my favorites by her, but she's incredible on everything. If you really love her, she was in a duo called "Frou Frou" that had some great CDs out.

Jem is a find from Pandora. Her CDs are some of the few that I've actually bought, rather than downloaded. I listen to her nearly every day when I walk to work. "Wish I" and "They" are not always my most favorite (though I love them), but they are pretty catchy.

"40'" by Franz Ferdinand is one of Elvira's current favorites. I dare anyone to listen to it while they're unloading the dishwasher and not start dancing. Not physically possible.

Last, but not least, the Talking Heads. I'm one of the few people you'll ever meet that saw "Stop Making Sense" and "True Stories" for full price, in the theater, more than once each. Though I never got to see them live, I dearly love them. "Naive Melody (This Must Be the Place)" is the sweetest song about home that I know. It makes me happy to be part of my original family and the mom of my new one every time I listen to it.

So there's part one. I change the songs on my list nearly daily as I find new ones and get tired of old ones. I'd love any suggestions for new ones!

1 comment: