Saturday, February 14, 2009

Playlist, Pt. 3

Bryan Ferry

This has been very fun for me to write about. I always wanted to be a DJ, and now I kind of get to be!

When Sweetie and I drove from Chicago to St. Louis for the weekends, we always took Paul Simon's Graceland and Street Life by Roxy Music & Bryan Ferry with us. He has a very unique, sexy, haunting voice that really appeals to me. When I worked at Leo Burnett in Chicago there was a music store just down the street that I would hang out in on the rare times I could take a break during lunch. One afternoon they were playing Roxy Music's "Avalon" album, and I was just mesmerized. I'll put a few extra tracks on my playlist so you can enjoy them, too. And I love Bryan Ferry's solo stuff even more than the Roxy Music collective efforts. He did an album called "As Time Goes By" that is his covers of old standards from the '30s. Gorgeous. I'll pop one of those on, too. Unfortunately, this is one area that Elvira and I disagree on. She can't stand his voice!

We all have the things that make us go weak in the knees, and for me it's a Scottish accent. No idea why, but I could listen to Craig Ferguson read the phone book. When I was in college I spent more than one Sunday night sitting on the floor of my bedroom in the dark listening to a radio show called "London Calling" from the BBC that played only British New Wave music. I've always loved British groups the best--there's an edge to them that I really dig. A good 80% of my list is from the UK and Ireland, including the very Scottish KT Tunstall. I love "Other Side of the World"--it's so desperate and sad. I'm also throwing "Funnyman" on there for a few days.

Lots of one-shots on there, like Eric Clapton (I love this version of "Layla" best), Genesis (favorite track ever), Tori Amos, Shawn Colvin, etc. I don't think I'll devote a full paragraph to any of them, but I do really like these songs. I'm put on some Proclaimers, Depeche Mode, and a few other goodies for a little while for your listening pleasure.

I don't seriously expect people to keep my blog up all day and listen to my music. I do it, but I don't expect you to! I can get so much more done around here when I have good music to listen to. Need to mop the floor but don't want to? Throw a little Jem on and it's done in a flash. Give some of them a try!

No comments: