Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Our Favorite Podcasts

Years and years ago I became an NPR (National Public Radio) addict. I listen to it almost exclusively in the car and often online at home. But I still miss out on too much, so now I subscribe to free podcasts and listen to them on my iPod. Podcasts are a great way to stay informed, learn German, or catch up on different fan sites for TV shows. Here are a few that Drummer Boy and I love to listen to.

1. Wait, Wait, Don't Tell Me--The absolute funniest current events game show in history. If you don't feel smart, listen to it anyway and you'll get that way.

2. This American Life--I love Ira Glass' voice. Great stories, some funny, some startling, all so absorbing. Listen to it on the treadmill and your hour will fly by.

3. A Prairie Home Companion's News From Lake Wobegon--This is just the Lake Wobegon segment of the entire show (which isn't available for download) and is really fun to listen to. Burn a bunch onto a CD and take them in the car.

4. APM Speaking of Faith--I'm not a big "let's talk about spiritual things" person, but this is always an interesting discussion about religion, ethics, and ideas. Lots of different people come on as guests and it's really quite fascinating.

5. Story Corps--My personal favorite. Just about 3 minutes long, these are autobiographical interviews with regular people from all over the country. Some are laugh out loud funny, others bring me to tears. I love this one so much.

6. Radio West--Salt Lake's own KUER program hosted by Doug Fabrizio. Lots of interesting topics, both of local and national interest. The one yesterday was all about the "Big Love" temple controversy. Very informative and entertaining.

7. Planet Money--We found out about this through a "This American Life" episode. I don't know about you, but the whole economic crisis has me completely confused. I'm not particularly stupid, but all of this sure makes me feel that way. Planet Money breaks things down and makes it interesting, relevant, and educational.

Please leave comments with your favorites!

1 comment:

Holly said...

I will have to try Story Corps!